Man convicted of stabbing woman 39 times in Shoreham

Man who stabbed partner 39 times in Shoreham jailed for 16 years.
Man who stabbed partner 39 times in Shoreham jailed for 16 years.

A man has been convicted after stabbing his on-off partner 39 times at her flat in Shoreham.

Liam Hanley, 32, of no fixed address, was found guilty of GBH with intent of Sarah Harries.

He stabbed her 39 times whilst she was in the bath at her flat on Shoreham beach on Tuesday (September, 4) last year.

Hanley was charged with attempted murder, but following a two and a half week trial, the jury found him guilty of GBH with intent.

37-year-old Sarah had been in an on-off relationship with Hanley for a year.

On the day of the stabbing, CCTV showed they had spent the day together and had a McDonalds lunch.

They also had a drink in the Ferry Inn pub around 6pm.

When they returned home, Sarah had a bath where Hanley proceeded to come in and began stabbing her.

Sarah got out and fought him off, eventually moving to the kitchen.

Hanley fled the flat before Sarah called emergency services, pleading for them to help her.

She was found crouched on the floor, covered in blood, with stab wounds to her neck, abdomen and arms.

Her deepest cut was in her neck, but she also suffered a punctured lung.

At the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Sarah underwent emergency surgery and survived her injuries.

Police immediately released an image of Hanley and began an extensive search.

Detective Constable Katy Lewis said:

“This was a horrific attack on a woman which came completely out of the blue, shocking Sarah herself and the close community in Shoreham.

“There was no history of violence from Liam and Sarah was truly shocked by the ferocious nature of the attack.”

Once out of the flat, Hanley arranged through a friend for another friend to drive him to Slough in Berkshire.

Both friends were unaware he was wanted.

On the way he asked to stop for a cigarette, where he dumped a bag of clothes on the road.

When the driver got home, he saw Sussex Police’s appeal and returned to the friend who arranged the lift.

By that point the friend had already contacted police.

The next day Hanley handed himself into police in Maidenhead.

He has now been remanded in custody and will be sentenced on Friday (May, 10).

DC Lewis added:

“Sarah has thankfully made a recovery however the scars and some of her injuries will have an impact on her for the rest of her life.

“She has bravely taken to the stand during the trial and faced Liam once again; I commend her for this and I’m so grateful she is here to do so.”