Police have released a 19-year-old man previously arrested on suspicion of the rape of a woman on Worthing seafront, with no further action being taken against him.
The 26-year-old victim was approached by a man in New Parade, Worthing, near the Splashpoint Leisure Centre on Sunday evening (September, 8), shortly before 10.30pm.
Police said he asked her for directions, but then took her to the beach and raped her, before leaving the area on foot.
Officers said despite an initial suspect being released without charge, the investigation is still ongoing and several lines of enquiry are being pursued.
DS Ed Bohnet, of the West Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit, said:
“Many thanks to the local people who have already contacted us offering information and assistance.
“Our investigation is still very much ongoing and we are still keen to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time and saw anything suspicious, or who has any other information that might help.”
Police said the victim is continuing to receive support from specialist officers.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting Operation Neston.