Grandmother appeals to public over Eastbourne house fire which killed mum and son

A grandmother has appealed to the public for information after her daughter and grandson were killed in a house fire in Eastbourne.

It comes ahead of a nationwide appeal on BBC’s Crimewatch Roadshow, which aired at 9.15am this morning (Monday, 16).

Gina Ingles, 34, and her four-year-old boy Milo Ingles-Bailey were killed when a fire broke out at their house in Croxden Way just before 1am on July 10, 2018.

Gina’s partner Toby Jarrett was also in the house but managed to escape the flames by jumping out a first floor window.

Police said the 27-year-old suffered serious burn injuries and was taken to hospital – he has now been discharged.

The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Mike Ashcroft, said:

“In the past 14 months we have spoken to a number of people and followed up multiple lines of enquiry, and we will continue to investigate any new information which comes to light.

“We have made some significant progress during this time and I am as convinced today as I was in July of last year that someone knows who is guilty of this terrible crime.

“Do the right thing and tell the police what you know.”

Detectives previously released CCTV footage of two people who may have information about the fire.

Two men, aged 47 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

The 23-year-old remains under investigation but the 47-year-old was released without charge.

DCI Ashcroft said:

“We continue to be extremely grateful to the local community for their continued support and co-operation, and I would personally like to thank everyone who has come forward with any information to this date.

“However, we remain just as determined now as we were in July 2018 to locate the person – or people – responsible for this horrific offence and bring them to justice.

“This deliberate criminal act claimed the lives of a mother and her young son, and has severely affected the life of another man.”

Anyone with any information is asked to report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Druffield.