The British man who is believed to be a "superspreader" of coronavirus has been identified as businessman Steve Walsh.

The 53-year-old was diagnosed on 6 February with coronavirus, having caught it in Singapore while at a business conference before going to the French Alps for a ski holiday, then returning to his home in Hove, East Sussex.

He is suspected of infecting 11 other Britons with the virus – four who are in the UK, five in France and one in Majorca – who were in France with him.

Mr Walsh has two children and is an assistant cub scout leader at the 3rd Hove St Leonards Scout Group where he is known as Shere Khan, according to the MailOnline.

In a statement from St Thomas’ hospital in London, where he is in quarantine, Mr Walsh said: I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus.

As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England.

I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed.

When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.

I also thank friends, family and colleagues for their support during recent weeks and I ask the media to respect our privacy.

He was at the conference at the Grand Hyatt in Singapore with his company, Servomex, a gas analytics company.

A Servomex spokesman said: We are very pleased that Steve Walsh has made a full recovery. We continue to provide support to him and his family.

We are working with Public Health authorities to ensure the welfare of our staff and communities and wish anyone with the virus a quick and full recovery.

Mr Walsh attended the Singapore conference from 20-23 January before flying to the Alps on 24 January.

He shared a chalet with 11 others, including two healthcare workers at the County Oak Medical Centre in Brighton which has been closed since Monday when four of the 11 were confirmed as having coronavirus.

On Sunday, another member of the group was also confirmed as having the virus.

Five other Britons, including a nine-year-old, who were staying in the chalet with Mr Walsh, were diagnosed in France and are in quarantine in hospital there. They are understood to not be in a serious condition.

More follows…

(c) Sky News 2020: Identity of man linked to 11 British coronavirus cases revealed