Latest coronavirus update as University of Sussex student is admitted to hospital

A student at the University of Sussex has been admitted to hospital to be tested for the virus.

On Monday (January, 10), the university wrote to all staff and students to let them know that a student on campus was admitted to hospital, to be tested for coronavirus.

A case of the virus has not been confirmed at this point in time.

The institution said the student involved began to feel unwell after recently returning from overseas.

They reportedly informed health professionals at an early opportunity.

The University said they will soon know the results of any tests.

The institution said:

“The University is conscious that this is a difficult time for students and we are concerned at making sure they are supported. 

“We ask that we all continue to support each other during this time, particularly our students from overseas who are feeling a long way from home at the moment and at times vulnerable.

“We know this is worrying for our community, especially as there is a focus on Brighton in the media.  

“The University is following all advice and have been planning for all eventualities.”

It follows yesterday’s confirmation from the Chief Medical Officer for England that four further patients tested positive for novel coronavirus in Brighton, bringing the total number of cases in the UK to eight.

Public Health England Medical Director, Yvonne Doyle said:

“As a result of our contact tracing we now know the new cases announced today are all closely linked to one another.  

“Our priority has been to speak to those who have close and sustained contact with confirmed cases, so we can advise them on what they can do to limit the spread of the virus.

“Two of these new cases are healthcare workers and as soon as they were identified, we advised them to self-isolate in order to keep patient contact to a minimum.

“We are now working urgently to identify all patients and other healthcare workers who may have come into close contact, and at this stage we believe this to be a relatively small number.  

“We would like thank all those who have followed public health advice and have taken the necessary steps to reduce the risk to the general public.”

County Oak Medical Centre in Carden Hill, Brighton, also closed after a member of staff reportedly tested positive for the virus.

Patcham Nursing Home, in Eastwick Close, Brighton, has also reportedly turned away visitors.

A spokesperson for the home said:

“It is important to state that no-one at the home is unwell.

“However, following the closure of the local GP surgery, as a precaution we have closed the home to all visitors. 

“If official advice is issued, we will follow it but, as a responsible care home and employer, we have put in place our own checks on residents and staff.”

The new cases are known contacts of a previously confirmed UK case and the virus was passed on in France.

If you have not been contacted by PHE as a close contact, you do not need to take any action at this time.

The Council advised:

“If you do feel unwell having travelled to the UK from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days, then you should stay indoors and call NHS 111, even if symptoms are mild. 

“If you have travelled from Wuhan or Hubei province in the last 14 days then you should stay indoors and avoid contact with others as you would with flu, and call NHS 111 informing them of your symptoms and inform them of your recent travel to the city.”

Everyone is being reminded to follow Public Health England advice to:

  • Always carry tissues with you and use them to catch your cough or sneeze. Then bin the tissue, and wash your hands with soap and water
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after using public transport.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.

More Radio is continuously dedicated to providing a quality news service on-air and online, reporting local stories that matter across Sussex.

If you enjoyed reading this story, then check out our home page at moreradio.online where you can find the latest from the county, along with features and competitions from our presenters, as well as listening to the station live.

You can also sign up to our news alerts to receive updates on new stories. Simply click on the bell at the bottom right of the home page. This will then allow a pop-up which will ask if you would like to receive alerts. Press ‘allow’ and you’re all signed up!

You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.